The Teacher service commission of Kenya(TSC) has all the mandate to register teachers who have completed respective education courses.
The teacher may be having a Diploma in Education, Bachelors Degree or can have a P1 certificate. For him or her to be registered he or she must have met all the minimum requirement for registration.
Find more here about the current teacher registration requirement by TSC.
If the new proposal by the Teachers Service Commission about teacher Education goes through, all the TSC employed teachers and those yet to be employed by the Teacher service commission will have to go for a compulsory post Training certificate course.
The post training certificate for all the teachers in service will target the teachers employed by Teacher Service Commission and those yet to be employed by the commission but had completed all the corresponding courses in education.
The teachers who will be enrolled for this training exercise will be graduates holding;
- Diploma of Education for special Need certificate
- Bachelors of Education certificate
- Primary school teacher training certificate
- diploma in secondary teacher training certificate
- Early childhood Education Development certificate
This training exercise for post training teacher certificate course will be offered for a period of Nine months(9) and will be during holidays. A micro teaching exercise will also be done during this period for all the teachers taking the post Training teacher certificate course.
The aim of this Post Training Certificate course that is recommended by the Teacher Service Commission is to ensure all the teachers become compliance with the Competency Based Curriculum(CBC) and all the learning areas involved.
These learning areas will involve the following;
- pedagogy of the 21st century , principles and practices of teacher education
- the all time learning assessment
- action, research, inclusivity, coaching and mentorship of learners
- identification and nurturing of learners talents and potentials
- blending of content and instruction on micro teaching workshops
- supervision and assessment
- pedagogic reasoning and philosophical teaching