KCPE and KCSE certificates serve as a pedestal before one is taken into consideration for admittance to any higher education institution or even during job interviews.
Now what happens if any of these documents are lost?
Kenya National Examination Council Act, Section 10,(1),(d), requires the council to issue replacement certificates to candidates upon verification of the loss of the original certificates.
The KNEC body established a guideline requiring the reinstatement of all lost certifications dating back to 1981 in March 2009. The Council also decided that a candidate may only replace their certificate ONCE.
Inorder to effectively replace your lost KCPE or KCSE certificate, follow the steps below.
Application for Lost KCPE or KCSE Certificate
- Ensure you fill out the replacement certificate form for KNEC (available at KNEC offices or online at http://qmis.knec.ac.ke).
- Fill out the form completely, leaving no blank spaces.
Include all necessary documentation
Procedure to replace a lost KCPE or KCSE certificate.
Ensure you attach the following documents to the duly filled KNEC certificate replacement form.
- Have Copy of certificate (mandatory).
- Have Copy of ID/Passport or Birth certificate(for under 18 years candidates).Names in these Documents should tally with those used during examination. Those who have legally changed names, should attach documents used to change their name.
- Have Original Sworn legal affidavit.
- Have Original copy of Police abstract indicating loss of the certificate(s).
- Have Letter of Completion /recommendation from school/exam center.
- Have Original KNEC bank deposit slip (mandatory).
The Payment procedure For Lost KCPE or KCSE Certificate
The KNEC body charges a replacement fee of kshs 5,800(16% VAT tax inclusive) per A certificate lost. The fee is payable to KNEC collection accounts in any of the branches of the Banks listed below:-
- National Bank of Kenya.
- Kenya Commercial Bank.
- Equity Bank.
- Co-operative Bank.
N/B: The KNEC deposit bank slips are available in all the banks above.
After confirming that the details filled are accurate and authentic. Send a sealed envelope containing all documents mentioned above to the KNEC address below:-
Council Secretary/Chief Executive,
Kenya National Examination Council,
P.O BOX 73598-00200,
- Certificates are ready for collection from KNEC offices, 60 days after submission of request.
- Certificate should be collected by the owner (verify identity by ID).Those under 18 years to be accompanied by a parent(posses original id).
- All Certificates which will not have been collected from the KNEC offices, Two years from the application date, will be disposed off by the council without consulting the owner(NO refund).