- In teaching, a person must make an informed choice as to the type of combination of subjects he or she is seeking.
- In Kenya teachers may find themselves in a difficult situation where they stay for a while after graduation without the approval of the TSC (Commission Service Commission).
- Apart from the fact that the other parties stays for a long time without a TSC job, there are those who are hired by the TSC just after graduation.
- Most of those who have long been unemployed by the TSC say it is ‘unfortunate’ for them and some are hired immediately. This is not the case but this is determined by various factors.
- Features include;
a) the type of combination of topics one has.
b) how long a teacher has been unemployed after graduation.
c) a person’s willingness to work in any part of the country.
1. HOME SCIENCE together with any subject another subject
This is an excellent course combined with any other subject like Biology. It is very marketable and good that you can sign up to take without doing home Science in high school. All that is required is C + and above in Biology.
2. BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY
It is one of the best-selling and most sought-after graduation in the teaching world.
During TSC recruitment, a teacher with this combination is likely to be employed permanently without staying home for long periods of time.
3. AGRICULTURE AND BIOLOGY
This is a type of combination that many people call ‘hot cake’. Having this combination has many opportunities for permanent employment with the TSC at any time after graduation.
Agricultural skills are not only important for the purpose of the TSC but also for the management of other school farming projects that will generate a small income.
4. PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY
If you need to be hired by the TSC immediately after graduation, then this is one of the most adorable Subject combinations you need to sign up for.
It sells well because few students enroll and require only C + and above in both subjects.
5. COMPUTER STUDIES with any other subject
To avoid getting stuck at home, one should enroll in computer courses at the University. This combination is very marketable and it is possible to hire someone after graduation because few students sign up for it.
In addition the computer skills he acquired enabled a person to earn a living by completing KRA Returns, completing TPAD and even NEMIS.
In addition to the combinations of the five subjects above, there are also many subjects that can be marketed. Including; music, Arts and Design, Drawing and Design, Metal works, Woodwork, Mechanics, Electricity and Building and Construction.
In case one cannot afford all the above courses one should consider having a combination of Business and Geography or mathematics and physics which is also the best-selling combinations in teaching world.
To avoid long stays at home after graduation, there are courses one should completely avoid, This is because they have many teachers with the same combination who are still waiting to work with the TSC. Including, English and Literature, Kiswahili and Geography, Kiswahili and History, Kiswahili and CRE, Mathematics and Business subjects, History and CRE.